The much-publicised legal case of
Alicia Gali is suing the Australian Government and her former employer,
These legal processes will probably take months to arrive at a verdict but Gali’s case and others like it are stimulating articles in UAE newspapers about the distinctive features of the UAE Penal Code.
The Gulf News has a helpful article in today’s edition (9 June 2011) about some of these laws in the UAE which relate to issues like these:
- Living together as an unmarried couple
- Sharing a house with an unrelated person of the opposite sex
- Mixed flatting
- The application of Sharia Law to those who aren’t Muslims
- Consensual sex between unmarried people
- Being in a car with an unrelated person of the opposite sex
Living Together in the UAE? Think Twice, Gulf News, 9 June 2011.
Alicia Gali Rape Case Puts
This article is also posted on the
Image: Courtesy of Gulf News.