* How do expats cope with the feeling of ‘suspended animation’ from real life?
* How do expats help shape the national and cultural identity of their children while encouraging them to experience fully the delights of multicultural UAE?
* While the UAE government is promoting measures to help expats integrate into the Emirates to what extent do newcomers avail themselves of these opportunities?
* Expats can feel released from ‘civic responsibilities’ but how do they cope with the feelings of selfishness and knowing they are mainly here for the dirhams and the perks?
* How might expats play a meaningful part in the shaping of the future of the UAE?
These questions are raised and discussed in the insightful article by Claudia Pugh-Thomas that can be found at this link:
Claudia Pugh-Thomas, Finding an Expat Role in the UAE, The National, 2 May 2009.
Tim Brooks, Expats Urged to Embrace Culture, The National, 2 May 2009.
How Well Do You Know the Emirates, The National, 1 May 2009.
Alex Rolandi, So, Could You Pass the Emirates Patriotic Test?, The National, 1 May 2009.
Dr Geoff Pound
Contact at geoffpound[@]gmail.com or Facebook about blogging, writing projects or whatever.
Image: Brazilian expats in the UAE. Photo courtesy of TimeOut Dubai.