Fujairah Collage

Fujairah Collage
Some distinctive landmarks in Fujairah

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Why Expats Like Hearing the Call to Prayer in the UAE

Discussion Point

While trawling through UAE Internet forums to discover who people should talk to when the call to prayer from their mosque is too loud, it became apparent that expats and visitors overwhelmingly appreciate hearing the Call to Prayer (azaan).

In raising the matter expats were swift to recognize raising the matter to be a sensitive issue and repeatedly made the comment that “the last thing I want to do is to cause offence to anybody.”

Views on the Azaan

Here’s a sample of the reflections on the Call to Prayer when it is not beamed at a deafening volume:

“I don’t mind hearing it at any time of the day, as you say, it is all part of life in Dubai.”

“I love hearing the call to prayer. I think we must be fortunate as the mullah is quite musical to my ear.”

Written comment accompanying the posting of a video on YouTube: “Burj Dubai, world’s tallest building…the Call to Prayer started…so cool.”

“I do find the call to prayer comforting and it does remind you of where you are.”

“[It is] one of the things I love best about living here.”

“I am not a follower of Islam but the call to prayer reminds me several times each day of the important qualities in life that are beyond material things.”

“I leave our windows open because we want to make sure we CAN hear it.”

Hear and Understand

A travel writer has helpfully posted an article which provides a link for people to listen to one version of the Call to Prayer and read the words in English as well as Arabic.

Geoff Pound

This article is also posted on the Fujairah in Focus Facebook Page.

Image: Calling the azaan in Egypt (Photo courtesy of this link).

No comments: